With great things comes great responsibility
We don’t just care about our products; we care about how they come to be. So we are picky when it comes to our materials. They must be fine and luxurious, but also environmentally and socially responsible. Our leather is traceable and contains no harmful chemicals. We use only feathers from animal production. We use wood that obey the EU timber regulation, EUTR. Our wool is IWTO certified and most of our production is from EU countries, ensuring quality and good working environments. Because great values are more important than just great value.
The majority of the Bolia collection is designed and produced in Denmark and other EU countries. More than 20% of our volume is produced in Denmark and more than 70% in other European countries.And as something new, we're happy to give you a 5-year guarantee on every single design in our collection.
We are big fans of natural materials such as wood, leather, marble, veneer, metal, concrete, resin and wool, and we love to create contrasts with colours, details, humour and surprising combinations to create unique and exciting designs.
Our aim is to create high quality furniture that will last for many years.
We minimise the usage of low-durability materials such as chipboard, laminated chipboard, board-on-frame etc. These low cost materials are heavily used in the furniture business, but are not entirely environmentally friendly because of their low quality, durability and high waste rate.
Here are a few quick facts about the materials in our collection:
- Our sofa and furniture fabrics are made of 100 % wool or recyclable polyester, 100% free of heavy metals such as nickel, lead or chromium. See our fabrics here
- The wool we use in our wool fabrics is certified from IWTO (international Wool Textile Organization), IWTO has made tests, which insure that the animals are treated in the best respectful manner. Also our wool has passed the international “REACH” test which indicates that it fulfills the highest EU standards for wool.
- Our leathers are handpicked and carefully selected from around the world and are produced without any use of PCP or CFC. Our leather impregnation fluids are based on water. Furthermore our Sierra leather can be traced back to the area where the hides come from. See our leathers here
- Our sofa frames are made of sustainable wood and the wood glue is 100 % water based and environment friendly. See our sofas here
- The down and feathers we use for our pillows and cushions comes from birds used in regulated poultry food production within Europe. This guarantees that the birds are not killed only for the use of their downs and that they have not been plucked alive. Our suppliers are monitored regularly via the HACCP quality system.
- Those three materials we use for our Dining room furniture are almost exclusively from sustainable and European wood. See our Dining room furniture here
- At Bolia.com we carefully follow and respect the high REACH standards, eliminating risky substances from our production processes and thereby minimizing any possible allergic reactions.
- The production of Bolia cowhide products is ISO certified with no usage of hexavalent chrome in the process. See our cowhides here
- All Bolia rugs are Care&Fair certified which guarantees a production with no child labour. Donation from the sales goes to child welfare in India. See our rugs here
- The Bolia wool plaids are made from 100 % pure new wool. See our wool plaids here
We want to make the journey from producer to customer clearer and more transparent, by knowing the origins of raw wood, hides and leather, to make sure we can vouch for its quality. We have therefore decided that our Quattro leather should be 100% traceable, to ensure we can always document the leather's journey from producer to consumer.
At Bolia, our furniture is designed and hand-built in Denmark and by selected furniture producers in Europe. We aim to safeguard a good working environment for everyone who works with us, both within our company and at our suppliers at the factory floor.
At Bolia we handpick only the finest and most skilled producers, in order to ensure durable products and good working conditions. We share our clearly defined contractual goals in terms of compliance with all local and international rules and regulations, environmental care and choice of raw materials.
Having our suppliers close around us, in Denmark and Europe, is a big advantage for us when it comes to ensuring that we are running our production in line with our ambitions.
Our Product Managers regularly visit our producers to monitor and develop the following points:
- Agreed raw materials
- Usage of legal chemicals
- Process optimization & recycling
- Minimising waste
- Manufacturing conditions
- Hygiene conditions
- Working conditions
- Storage conditions
At Bolia.com we carefully follow and respect the high EU REACH standards, eliminating risky substances from our production processes and thereby minimising any possible allergic reactions.
Europe’s chemicals legislation (REACH) grants consumers the right to information about specific problematic chemicals in consumer products. These substances are contained in the Candidate List, an official EU list of substances of very high concern. The list includes chemicals with known long-term adverse effects on humans and/or the environment. This list is updated regularly.
We will avoid the use of potentially harmful chemicals in our products. We therefore require that our producers must avoid the use of substances on the Candidate List in the production process.
Around 95% of our collection is purchased within the EU and we make sure that all of our producers are aware of their obligation to inform us regarding the content of substances on the Candidate List in their respective products.
You are welcome to make an enquiry about any product in our collection. All enquiries regarding problematic chemicals in our products are handled by our central product department. We will as quickly as possible collect the requested information from our producer regarding the use of any substances on the Candidate List in the given product. You can read more about REACH and see the Candidate List here