At Bolia we are radical optimists, believing that the world is slowly changing for the better and that our creative minds combined will constantly find new ways forward and battle the challenges we face along the way. We believe that a more sustainable way forward is all about positive choices. The thousands of choices we make every day as a politician, a board member, a leader, a colleague, a family member, a consumer, and as an individual. Making healthier business- and consumer choices makes good sense, it opens for new bright ideas and opportunities, it drives good business and inspires people around us.
Explore how we are working towards a smaller environmental footprint and a more responsible business in the video below.
Less but better
At Bolia, our ambition is to make healthier, smarter and greener choices and to inspire our colleagues, partners, and customers to do the same by sharing our passion, creativity, and solutions. We are always on a journey towards something better. We are not perfect, and we will surely make mistakes on our journey forward, but we are honest, openminded, positive, dedicated, and high on creativity. Working with the long haul and all the difficult improvements, that really matter for lowering our carbon footprint. What we believe matters the most is extending product longevity, by making beautifully timeless designs from carefully selected and certified materials, crafted to last for generations and inspiring consumers to buy less but better.
All our furniture designs are made to order in Europe and crafted one piece at the time. This way of low waste production not only allows you to customise our designs, but also minimises waste and consumption during the full lifetime of the product, through a more efficient usage of raw materials, a shorter distribution and most importantly – a beautiful design crafted to last for generations. That is also why we are happy to give a 10-year warranty on every single design in our collection.
In the creation of our new collection, our designers focus on extending the longevity of each product while minimizing its footprint, by finding ways to use less materials and energy for manufacturing. We are finding news way how to reduce waste and optimize packaging. How the design can be repaired and recycled. How we can rethink parts and components to be replaceable. For instance, we have introduced changeable covers for many of our indoor and outdoor sofas – allowing you to renew and refresh your design sofa over and over again.
The partnerships that helps us improve
With ambitions to create and shape a more sustainable industry, we join forces with leading partners such as Bureau Veritas, Danish Technological Institute, Schneider Electric, FSC Denmark and MÅLBAR. Testing our designs to the highest quality standards, processing knowledge and developing measurements about the climate emissions of our entire value chain, allowing us to find tangible ways to effectively reduce our overall impact. And we are happy to share all our facts, findings and finest ideas, all the way from our overall ambitions to the specific product climate footprint throughout the full product life cycle on our most popular designs. The footprint includes everything from raw materials, to production, packaging and shipping, the product lifetime and eventual disposal.
Our core business values people, creativity and quality are rooted on the Scandinavian design traditions and way of life. We love functional design, natural materials, beauty, craft, longevity, simplicity, positivity, and respectfulness. Based on these values we will share our thoughts about sustainability, implement our ideas and promote collaboration. We work ambitiously to empower and support all our wonderful colleagues around the world. We are members of amfori BSCI and our manufacturers follow the BSCI code of conduct, ensuring the rights and safety of everyone involved in our design universe.
We have defined an ambitious sustainability strategy, with specific goals and actions, allowing us to create change – day by day and year by year. Giving us much more of everything we love: new creative possibilities, beautiful designs, more sustainable materials, a reduced carbon footprint and happier partners, colleagues, and customers around the world.
Our sustainable strategy is the foundation for our business, and we are relating all actions to our wish for a better future. Actions are essential for change, and it is vital for us to live up to what we set as goals, during the last four years we have made huge changes in Bolia to secure that we keep on evolving, inspire our customers to better choices and push our industry towards something better.
- We have implemented a sustainable platform and starting point for our design process and design brief
- We have changed our product life cycle from half-year seasonal designs to long-term timeless designs
- All new designs and design extensions will be developed with the aim for component design thinking, in order to extend the product longevity.
- We have a continuous product quality evolution creating better designs, sourcing, quality, packing, compliance, and longevity
- We have implemented 10 years warranty on all products for all sales channels
- We have revised, improved, and certified our main production materials
- We have revised and changed our manufacturer selection and production countries, now 91% is from Europe compared to 86% last year.
- All wood we use is FSC® certified. All our fabrics are STANDARD 100 by OEKOTEX® certified. All our leathers are traceable, and our upholstery leathers are LEATHER STANDARD by OEKOTEX® certified, all rugs are labelled Care & Fair.
- 14,533 variants of Bolia designs are tested to and have passed BIFMA norms within strength, durability and stability
- 427,372 variants of Bolia designs are tested to and have passed EN norms within strength, durability and stability
- We conduct tests regarding strength, durability and stability on all furniture we develop
- We have joined forces with MÅLBAR to calculate the full CO2e footprints (LCA) of our products
- We have onboarded more than 50% of manufacturers on amfori BEPI
- We have onboarded 64 tier 2 suppliers on Amfori BSCI
- We have mapped 344 tier 1, 2 and 3 suppliers
- We have mapped all Bolia value chain CO2e emissions to GHG protocol standards
- We have actively worked with our main SDGs.
- Gender equality
- Decent work and economic growth
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life on land
- We have defined 10 powerful projects in our business plan for FY 24-26, where all ten projects have a positive impact on our sustainable journey
- We have launched our “Transparency Project” sharing our know-how, behind the scenes information, product manufacturing details, company values, facts and figures